Thursday, October 19, 2006

Everything Changes

I was talking to my Mom today and she said something that really kind of made me think. She said that we all have plans when we're younger of where our lives will be, but that as we grow life changes our plans and you can either go with them or fight them and end up hurting.

Thinking about it, I've never heard anything that made more sense. If you would've asked me 6 years ago where I'd be when I was 22 I would've told you that I was starting out in the world of education. I'd have finished up my teaching degree and found some great job at a middle school somewhere and be in my first year teaching.

The reality of it is that by 22 I've never finished school, broken off my engagement, work at some job at a Telecommunications company that I hate, and struggle to pay my bills. That's my reality... quite a step off from what my "plan" was. However, instead of sitting here pouting and regretting all of my past decisions I embrace them. They've made me who I am today, and for that I will always be grateful. I'm a generally happy person and I love all of the people that I have in my life that I never would've met had my life gone the way I'd planned. I never would've met the person who has become a sister to me, a family when I needed someone to lean on. That right there is enough reason for me to be happy my life changed course.

Yes I plan on going back to school, but the degree I want has changed dramatically. Instead of teaching, I want my psychology degree. Who knows maybe I'll go on and become a child psychologist, or maybe I'll just become a counselor like I've been thinking. I don't really know right now, but I do know that I won't stress out about the things to come.

My Dad has taught me in this past year that life is too short to stress about the small things, because you never know when you'll wake up one day and someone that you love will be gone, or you'll end up with a disease that will forever change your life and those of the people around you.

Like Tim McGraw says, "Live Like You Were Dying".

No comments: